How to Get Rid of Liver Spots
Liver spots on skin can be described as the flat brown-black spots or patches that are seen on a person’s face, shoulders and hands. They are also referred to, as sun spots or age spots at times. While liver spots on skin are a lot more common in people above the age of 40, they can be seen in several younger people too. In most instances, liver spots on skin are fairly harmless and are not really a cause for concern. However, they can be very unattractive and could cause a person to look a lot older than he or she really is. This is probably why several people spend a lot of time and money, on removing liver spots on face or the other parts of their body. However, most skin experts suggest that steps should be taken to prevent liver spot, by learning about the exact causes of liver spots and taking the appropriate precautions.What are the Causes of Liver Spots?
Until a few years ago, people associated liver spots on skin with liver damage or diseases. In truth, there is no correlation between liver spots and the improper functioning of the liver. While there are many causes of liver spots, the main one is excessive exposure of the skin to harsh sun rays. The ultraviolet rays of the sun increase the amount of a pigment known as melanin in the skin. When this extra amount of melanin becomes clumped together, it leads to visible liver spots on skin. However, liver spots due to sun exposure could take a long time to become evident. Some of the other factors that could lead to liver spots on any part of the body are genetics and age.
There are certain medicines and medical treatments, like laser therapy, cryotherapy, chemical peels and dermabrasion, which can help get rid of liver spots on the face. However, some of them, including the medicines could lead to undesirable side effects and are quite expensive. Therefore, it has been seen that most people prefer using home remedies for liver spots, since they are safer and usually bring about results within a few months.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Liver Spots
Following are some of the most commonly used home remedies for liver spot removal.
1. Castor oil is believed to be an effective home remedy for liver spots or age spots. Apply a little castor oil directly onto the dark spots. Castor oil has got strong healing properties, which can help you get rid of liver spots effectively.
2. Potato juice is one of the best dark spot corrector that helps remove age spots naturally. Take slices of raw potato and rub it on the affected area to remove age spots, dark brown spots, freckles or other blemishes on skin.
3. Apple cider vinegar is the most widely used natural treatment and is safe to use on age spots on the face. When apple cider vinegar is mixed with onion juice and applied directly to the skin, it can help you to get rid of age spots and sun spots. You can also combine two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon of orange juice and apply to the affected area to remove liver spots.
4. Apply the juice of fresh garlic on the affected skin, twice a day for removing age spots. Repeat this remedy twice daily for about two months to get rid of the brown spots on skin especially on face.
5. Red onion acts as a bleaching agent that helps the dark brown spots to fade. Rub slices of red onion directly on the liver spot. Also dab a cotton ball into red onion juice and apply to the skin to get rid of dark red spots.
6. Having berries is one of the best natural ways of removing dark spots on face. By drinking around 4 to 8 ounces of crushed fresh berries you can easily get rid of or fade away your dark brown age spots and freckles.
7. Aloe vera gel is famous for promoting great looking skin. It is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for age spots. Simply rub and dab the aloe vera juice directly on the affected area.
8. Coconut oil is one of the best natural treatments for age spots. Regular use of coconut oil may well help prevent and reduce age spots, also known as liver spots or sun spots.
9. Tea tree oil is another herbal product that is best for removing liver spots on face, hands and legs. Tea tree oil can be applied directly to the age spots with a cotton swab. Repeat this procedure once or twice daily for several weeks and you will see how dark spots are fading away.
10. Grape Seed extract is also beneficial for liver spots. Grape seed oil is an all-natural moisturizer that can work wonders on your skin, whether you are dealing with acne, aging or dark spots.
11. Hydrogen peroxide is available at home and can be used as a facial bleach to get rid of age spots. Bleach away small age spots using 30 percent hydrogen peroxide.
12. Take one tablespoon of yogurt, lemon juice of about half teaspoon, one tablespoon of finely crushed oatmeal. Now mix this thoroughly together to make a face-wash. Apply it on the face and neck and leave on for 15 minutes. Use normal or lukewarm water to wash it off.
13. Another natural method for liver spots is to mix some sugar in lemon juice to make a paste and use it as a scrub on your face, especially on your brown age spots. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water.
14. Mix four teaspoons of buttermilk and two teaspoons of tomato juice together and then apply it on your brown spots using a cotton ball. The lactic acid from the butter milk helps cleanse your face while also helping to getting rid of age spots.
15. Use high-quality sunscreens that have an SPF rating of at least 30. Apply sunscreen at least a half hour before you go out in the sun. Reapply it often. By applying sunscreens, you will be able to prevent sunspots and freckles on your skin and keep the ones you already have from getting darker.
16. Another of the best home remedies for liver spots or freckles includes application of lemon juice and yogurt mixed with honey to those skin spots.
These home remedies are effective for removing liver spots or age spots. However, getting rid of liver spots with home remedies take more time and patience.